QUICK LINKS: Register of Deeds Home | Frequently Asked Questions | Fee Schedule | Uniform Commercial Code Information | Notary Information | Filing an Assumed Business Name


Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?
Yes. All information in our Office is public record.

Can Recorded Documents be searched online?
Yes. Indexes are available from 1978 and Images are available from 2001.

What steps do I take to get married?
First, you must acquire a marriage license at a Register of Deeds Office in North Carolina. The license is valid for sixty days. The license will expire if the parties do not marry within sixty days. A religious officiate or a magistrate may perform the ceremony.

Once I have obtained a marriage license, to whom do I speak about arranging a civil ceremony?
You may schedule an appointment with a Magistrate in the Jones Courthouse by dialing (252) 448-6254.

Can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate from your Office?
Copies of all vital records (births, deaths, and marriages) that occur in Jones County are available from the Register of Deeds Office. In order to receive a certified copy, you must be a member of the immediate family of the person whose record you wish to obtain. “Immediate family” is defined as spouse, child/stepchild, sister/brother, mother/father/stepparent, grandchild/great grandchild, or grandparent/great grandparent. If requesting copies by mail, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A photo copy of state issued I.D. or driver’s license of the person applying for the birth certificate copy must accompany the request.

The cost of all certified copies of vital records is $10.00 per copy, or $.25 per uncertified copy.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?
If your marriage took place in Jones County prior to October 1, 2001, you may request a copy by mail or in person. On or after October 1, 2001, contact the county in which the licensed was issued. Copies are available ten days after the wedding ceremony, provided that the person who officiated at the ceremony has returned the license. To process the request, you must provide the name of bride and groom and the date of the marriage. A certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00. If requesting by mail, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. A photo copy of state issued I.D. or driver’s license of the person applying for the marriage license copy must accompany the request.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?
The Register of Deeds Office will provide a copy of your deed at .25 per page. If you know the book and page number of the deed, you may request it by mail. Be sure to enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope for mail requests.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?
The Register of Deeds Office does not maintain divorce records. If the divorce was processed in Jones County, you may wish to contact the Clerk of Courts Office @ 252-448-6220.

How do I file separation papers?
The Register of Deeds Office does not provide legal advice; it is advisable to see an attorney to draw up the proper papers. If real estate is involved, the papers must be filed in our Office.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?
No. Property ownership information is provided by the Jones County Tax Department.

Does the Register of Deeds provide assistance with genealogy research?
No. However, You are very welcome to visit our office in search of your ancestry.

Jones County Register of Deeds

101 Market Street
Trenton, NC 28585

Mailing Address:
PO Box 189
Trenton, NC 28585

Phone: 252-448-2551
Fax: 252-448-1357

Register of Deeds: Susan Gray

Hours of Operation

Cutoff time for recording is 4:30 p.m.


Close Search Window